Monday, May 30, 2016

Club Scrap Artist Team Challenge - Creative License

Hello! Welcome to the Club Scrap Artist Team Challenge Blog Hop! If you've been following along you came from Esther's blog. This Month's kit is called Creative License and the Artist Team was tasked with creating metal or faux metal embellishments for our projects.
 
 
I used different techniques to decorate a set of 5 cards and a box to hold them.
 
 
I used a key on the front to hold it closed. I just bent it back and used it as the anchor to hold the ribbon that ties it closed. There's a good tutorial on how to make the box here.
 
 
The 1st technique I used was to emboss metal tape-I think it's used for duct work or something-I got mine at Wal-Mart in the hardware section. It's about 2" wide and has a sticky back-you just peel off the backing paper and stick it down. No adhesive required! You can use any embossing folder and run it through your Big Shot. I actually used a bunch of keys to make my impressions. They are thick so I had to play around with shims of cardstock and chipboard to get it to work right but when I figured that out it was great.
 
 
I also used a real key to embellish :)
 
 
I used it in the inside cover of the card box too.
The next technique I used was to make my own metal doodads from a soda can.

 
1st I used a brillo pad and scrubbed all the paint off the can-do this with the can full! Its much easier!
Then I used tin snips to cut off the top and bottom. Cut the can up the side so it will lay flat.
 
 
Then you can use any die you want to cut out shapes.
 
 
I made mini hubcaps and arrows! I used a stylis and drew on the metal making impressions. I put a piece of chipboard underneath while I was drawing for a little give. On some I flipped them over and drew in the negative space to make better impressions.
 

 I used the hubcaps on these 2 cards.
 
 
I'm very happy with how the hubcaps came out!
 

I stamped the word with Black Staz-on.
 
 
This last one I didn't actually make the keys - I just used them to embellish :)
 
I hope you liked my projects today! Follow the hop to see what Hetty made!
 
Have a great day!
Pam
 
 

17 comments:

  1. Tghis beautiful box has a set of amazing cards, Pam. Your metals are all so wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wowsers! Love your cards!! Great use of the metal tape!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What fun ~ love the metal hubcaps you made. So stinkin' cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What fun ~ love the metal hubcaps you made. So stinkin' cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Great cards!!! Fun techniques!
    Lilian
    The Leaf Studio

    ReplyDelete
  6. The embossed keys are brilliant! Pinning to try this later!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Those hubcaps are AWESOME! Great details.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Don't you just love that flashing tape!! Great projects

    ReplyDelete
  9. These techniques are AMAZING, I am going to Wal.art today to get some tape! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These techniques are AMAZING, I am going to Wal.art today to get some tape! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, so many ways to add faux metal! Love the soda can idea...the ultimate in repurposing. TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I saw them using soda cans last year at CKC - that is a really great idea! They were leaving the color on and it looked really good with the open designs they were using. I like that you took the color off for the more solid embellies you made, great tip for removing the color, too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, you did some really neat metalwork here. Great job on the hubcaps!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! Love using the can to create faux metal embellishments! Very unique! Love your box card and all the cards!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments. It's great to hear from you!