Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Club Scrap Boardwalk Blog Hop!

Hi there! Summer! Yay! So happy :) Welcome to the Club Scrap Boardwalk Blog Hop! If you were just at Hetty's blog then you are in the right place! June's kit is so cute and perfect for summer! Great colors, great images and of course great papers!
I decided to make a toilet paper roll mini album.

 
 I wanted to make something different from the basic stand up TP roll book with 6 folders and tags that we've all seen before. So I designed a book with 12 TP rolls in a staggered, layered pattern.


 
 

 
For this project you will need:
Scor-tape/Book binding glue/other strong adhesive
Chipboard
Cardstock
12 toilet paper rolls
ribbon, twine, embellishments of your choice
 
 
Start by cutting the chipboard:
Cut 2 at 5 1/2" x 8" for the front and back covers
cut 1 at 1/2" x 8" for the spine 
For the outside cover-cut 2 pieces of cardstock 10" x 8" and adhere together on the 10" sides.
Adhere the chipboard like the above photo. Make sure to leave at least 1/8" space between the chipboard pieces. If you are using thick cardstock (like Club Scrap papers) leave a more. Cut the corners and fold over the edges to cover the chipboard.
For the inside cover cut 2 pieces of cardstock 6 1/2" x 7 3/4". Adhere to the inside covering the chipboard.
 
 
For the hinge system cut 3 pieces of cardstock:
1" x 7 1/2" score at 3/8" and 5/8"
1 1/2" x 7 1/2" score at 3/8" and 1 1/8"
2" x 7 1/2" score at 3/8" and 1 5/8"
Fold on score lines.
 
 
Turn each piece over and put Scor-tape on the flat part in the middle.
 
 
Strip off the backing off the tape and place the narrowest piece in the middle of the middle sized piece. Then place those 2 in the middle of the largest piece. it should look like the photo above.
 
 
Adhere the finished binding piece to the spine of the book.


Flatten and cover the TP rolls. If you've ever used TP rolls this way you know that all TP rolls are not the same size! Even the same brand in different sized rolls can have different sizes! For this project I wanted all different sizes to enhance the staggered & layered look I was looking for. I can't really give you cover dimensions because the rolls you use may be difference sizes. A good basic rule of thumb though is double the width and add an inch. So if the flattened roll is 2 1/2" wide you'll need a piece of paper 6" wide to cover it.
 
 
I wanted the placement of all the TP folders to be kind of random and staggered - that was going to be too hard to try to measure and plan. So I decided to just wing it! I put the folder where I wanted it and snipped the binding on either side of it.
 
 
I tapered the cuts so they would slide into the folder easily.
 
 
Then I snipped away the outside parts-leaving the piece the hold the folders.

 
I put Scor-tape on both sides.

 
Then I slid the folders onto the binding tab and pressed to make sure the tape adhered properly.
 

Repeat the same steps with the rest of the binding pieces and folders staggering them as you go in any pattern you choose. I just eyeballed where to put them so they were layered.
 

 
This worked really well and gave me that layered look I wanted.

 
Here's how it looks from the edge.
 
 
 
Then I cut pieces of cardstock as tags to fit in the folders. I varied the length of these so some stuck out further than others-to enhance that layered and staggered look.
  I decorated the tags with stamps, ribbons and embellishments from the Boardwalk kit leaving room for photos or journaling.
 
Your next stop on the Blog Hop is Tricia! Check out what she did with the Boardwalk kit!

Have a great day!
Pam

26 comments:

  1. OMG,PAM!!!!That is one great toilet flag book.
    I love it and somany sweet details. SUPER!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is fantastic, Pam! I was reading your introduction and wasn't exactly sure what I would see when I scrolled down. Then, my jaw dropped! Fantastic project!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super awesome Pam. What a great way to use bum fodder rolls!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super awesome Pam. What a great way to use bum fodder rolls!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I cannot believe this is made from TP rolls, so adorable, and so many amazing details!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another wonderful repurposing project...you're really on a "roll"! (Sorry, LOL.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is just so much fun and I LOVE up cycling!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this and would be a great way to storage all the tags I have. Thank you for the wonderful inspiration! This is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great album and I love that you included directions! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, what great up-cycling! All those flags/pockets for tags and storing cute stuff are so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is really fun!! From all the neat posts on this blog hop, I'm gonna need another kit!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pam, this is amazing and a must try! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great interactive book! Gosh I love all the detail! I'm not a fan of recycling TP rolls, but you sure made a cute project with them!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I need to start saving TP rolls! TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very cute and clever! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Never saw this type of book or album before. Very cool idea and your execution of the project is wonderful. It really takes advantage of the boardwalk theme. Now I have to make one so I can put some of my many bookmarks in.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Never saw this type of book or album before. Very cool idea and your execution of the project is wonderful. It really takes advantage of the boardwalk theme. Now I have to make one so I can put some of my many bookmarks in.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is just simply AMAZING! I've never seen or heard of a TP album, but I'm in love!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is such a cute album. Love the flag book style. Great job as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  20. That is a clever idea, Pam! I bet you could use this idea for an ATC holder, too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments. It's great to hear from you!