Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Club Scrap Blog Hop-Office Space

Hi Friends! It's that time again - Club Scrap Blog Hop time! You should have just come from Hetty's blog. The kit for July is called Office Space and couldn't be better timed for me! I just got a new position at my job and will be doing HR. So excited to use this kit for little Thank Yous and morale boosters for our staff! For the Blog Hop I decided to make a little desk organizer! Perfect for this kit!!!
 
 
I've seen a million different ones out there and decided to design my own with all the little things I wanted-Business card holder, yearly calendar, posit it holder, memo holder, and drawers for supplies.
 
 
Here's the materials you will need to make one of your own:
Club Scrap Office Space Kit-Of Course!! :)
Chipboard
Cardstock
Buttons
Huge paperclip
yearly calendar
glue dots
Scor-tape
 
Let's get started with the tutorial!
Start by cutting your chipboard pieces for the base and drawers:
Top, bottom and center: cut 3 @ 3 3/4 " x 3 3/4"
Sides: cut 2 @ 3 3/4" x 3"
Drawer bottom: cut 2 @ 3 1/2" x 3 1/2"
Drawer sides: cut 8 @ 3 1/2" x 1 1/4"
 
Cut 2 pieces of cardstock:
5 1/4" x 12"
5 1/4" x 4 1/2"
Glue them end to end in a long strip.
 
 
Adhere the chipboard pieces with bookbinding glue in this order: 3 3/4" wide, 3", 3 3/4" and 3".  Leave about 3/4" border all the way around. Make sure to leave at least 1/8" between the chipboard pieces. Cut the corners, put bookbinding glue on the 2 long sides and fold the cardstock over the edge covering the chipboard.

 
"Roll" the strip up into a square and adhere the end flaps with bookbinding glue-one to the inside and one to the outside.
 
 
 Cut a piece of cardstock 5 1/4" x 6." Adhere the last 3 3/4" piece of chipboard in the middle. Cut the corners, add glue to 2 opposite sides and fold over to cover as shown.
 
 
I marked the 2-3" wide sides of the box with a line at 1 1/2" to mark where the middle piece will fit in

 
Add bookbinding glue to the flaps, set the shelf in - lining them up with the lines and glue the flaps in place.
 
Now for the drawers! Cut 2 pieces of cardstock 10 3/8" x 10 3/8". Gather the pieces of chipboard for one of the drawers. This next part is a bit complicated to explain so bare with me!
 
 
Before I placed the chipboard pieces on I scored the cardstock all the way around at 1/2" and then again at 1 1/4".  This just helped me place my chipboard in the right places. Adhere the pieces of chipboard like so on the cardstock. (Sorry about the kraft on kraft color-didn't think that out for the photos :/ ) Then cut away the corners like above. I know I looks weird but I wanted the drawer to be sturdy so I wrapped the cardstock completely around the sides and have 1/2" attached to the bottom of the inside of the drawer.
 
 
Adhere 1 of the little corner tabs to the side chipboard piece at each corner-all the way around. Put bookbinding glue on the end flap. Fold up the side chipboard piece and wrap the flap of cardstock over the side adhering the cardstock to the chipboard-tuck the other little corner flap under this flap. Adhere the 1/2" part flat on the bottom of the drawer. Do this for all 4 sides.
 
 
Your finished drawer should look like this. Now do it all again for the other drawer :) 
 
 
I stacked 3 buttons together with glue dots for a drawer pull. Matted the front and the inside bottom with coordinating cardstock.


On the top of the organizer I have a business card holder, post it note holder, another box to store miscellaneous supplies and a giant paperclip to hold memos or little notes.
To make the business card holder:
Cut a piece of cardstock 5 3/4" x 4 3/4." Score on the long side at 1" and 4 3/4." Score on the short side 2 1/2" and 3 3/4."


Cut off on the score lines as shown. Snip on the score lines and fold on all score lines.


Place score tape as shown.


Fold up and adhere the flaps on the inside.
For the Post-it note holder:
Cut a piece of cardstock 5 1/4" x 4 1/2." Score on the short side 1 5/8" and 3 7/8." Score on the long side 2 1/2" and 3 1/8."

 
I've drawn th score lines in so you can see them better. Cut and snip where shown.
 
 
Fold up on score lines and adhere the sides with Scor-tape. I cut the top edges at a diagonal to make it look neater. The front part is a little shorter than the back so you can see the post-it notes in there.
 
For the little box:
Cut a piece of cardstock 6 3/4" x 8 3/4." Score all the way around at 1/2", 1 1/2" and 2 1/2."


It should look like this when all scored.


Fold on all score lines, cut as shown and snip on score lines shown.


Put score tape as shown. Fold the long sides over the little tabs on the short side. Fold up the sides and adhere the long sides to the bottom forming the box.
Then I just glued them altogether on top of the box of drawers. I used some glue dots to glue the giant paperclip in between the post-it holder and the business card holder.

 
 I made a calendar on my computer and just stapled all the months together.


Then I decorated the whole thing with the Office Space images and papers! DONE!! :)
 
Next in line on the Blog Hop is Tricia! Check what she's done with this fun kit!

Have a great day!!
Pam


23 comments:

  1. Wow, this is a super project, Pam and with all the instructions, thanks!
    I just love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so cool Pam. I love it. Thinking I need to make one for my desk!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pam this is just wonderful. Thank you for the instructions for such a delightful project.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh. My. Heavens. First, congrats on your new job. That's awesome. Secondly, I am in love with that project! Thanks for the detailed assembly instructions/tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My mouth is WIDE OPENED!!!! A+WESOMEness. I'm inspired and going to challenge myself with your project. TFS

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pam you are a gal after my own heart!! Love how your project all comes together!! Thanks for the awesome instructions. FANTASTIC!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is soooo stinking cute! Nice job! I could use one for my desk right now, as it looks like its been raining paperclips in there!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! Breathtaking! Thank you for the wonderful instructions. Congrats on the new job.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very cool, love how you added the calendar to the side, lots of fun details!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great project and the tutorial is easy to follow

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats to you!
    This project is truly the awesomest!!! WOW! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had to come back and look at it again....it's still really awesome! Now I gotta find time to make something like this too!!! Thanks again for the awesome inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Really cute idea. Thanks for the details on how you made it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Clever, clever, clever! Great idea and awesome tutorial, too. TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a cute ideal. Who couldn't use this on any desk or by the phone. Thanks for step by step.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow Pam. This is awesome! What a great project and step by step.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very useful and creative! Thanks for the directions too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! Nice desk organizer! Very creative!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Super, super project. So appreciate any project that helps me to better organize!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I NEED one of these for my operatory at work! How cool is this! I'd have to keep prying little fingers off of it though. Really neat project!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow that's a wonderfull blog having all details & helpful. Office space

    ReplyDelete
  22. So much detail here! Thanks for the seriously in-depth tutorial!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments. It's great to hear from you!