Thursday, May 25, 2017

Club Scrap May 2017 Artist Team Challenge

Hey there! I'm so glad you joined us for the Club Scrap Artist Team Challenge! You should have just come from Hetty's blog if you're following along the hop. This month we were tasked with using papers, stamps and/or embellishments from multiple Club Scrap kits to create our projects. I'm using Woven Strands, Dahlia and Color Me Happy!
I know they've been around for awhile but I just discovered Traveler's Notebooks.  If you're not familiar with these they have a simple cover and an elastic string system that holds in multiple inserts. Midori is the brand that makes the original but there are all sorts of Fauxdoris out there! I love how you can add different inserts and make it exactly what you want. I decided to make a Fauxdori with a vinyl cover.



I stamped the Woven Strands image on a piece of the vinyl with Stazon ink, cut it out and hand sewed around the edge with embroidery floss. Then I glued it to the front.



I purchased a remnant piece of vinyl from Joann Fabrics for about $5.00. I cut off a piece 9 1/2" x 6 3/4". 


I used HeatNBond (a no sew adhesive) to glue a piece of fabric to the back of the vinyl.


I cut the fabric a bit bigger than the vinyl so I didn't have to align it perfectly. I cut off the excess and rounded the corners.

 

I used a leather punch to punch holes for the elastic strings and a Crop A Dial to place small eyelets in the holes. You don't realy need this but I like the way it looks.


I found a good video here on YouTube showing how to thread the elastic strings.


You can add as many inserts as you want. There are all sorts of different kinds and I found a ton of different kinds on Pinterest.

You can find them to purchase but I made my own. I made 4 different kinds. The covers all measure 6" x 9 1/4". The pages inside are 5"x 8 1/2". I made a calendar insert which i created on my computer and printed out, a plain graph paper insert, an insert for notes and a mini album type-for journaling or photos etc.


The inserts slide in under the elastic bands.


You can also attach 2 together with a separate elastic string.


I used papers from Woven Strands and Color Me Happy for the covers.


 I used a variety of stamped images and papers from the different kits to decorate the pages of the mini album insert.




Here I used a mask from the Woven Strands kit and daubed ink over it to create the background.


I used cut-a-parts throughout the insert for notes or journaling.
I love how all the different kits work so well together! Especially in a project like this where you can such different inserts all together in one book. It's also a nice way to use up some of those random scraps and cut-a-parts you have laying around.

Your next stop along the Hop is Roni!

Have a great a day!
Pam

10 comments:

  1. Oh wow! That is adorable! I love the fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful books, Pam. Like that vynil idea of yours. Have to search for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your book is FABU, and the decorated pages are the icing on the cake! Thanks for the step out instructions, these would make such fun little gifts! Gosh I love that fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pam these are super!! Love everything you have done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great minds think alike! I made one for the Adirondacks Blog Hop. I LOVE travel notebooks. Love the vinyl cover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! So did I :) I actually did that one 1st and loved it so much decided to do this one a little different!

      Delete
  6. Oh my goodness...what a wonderful project! A ton of mash-up examples showcased in one awesome package. Love it all!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! You really rocked out this challenge - the books are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So many ideas here in one post! This is beautiful, Pam!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments. It's great to hear from you!